[sword-devel] iPhone NDA dropped

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 22:55:44 MST 2008

Manfred,

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 3:46 AM, Manfred Bergmann <bergmannmd at web.de> wrote:

> Hi Greg.
>
> Am 02.10.2008 um 10:06 schrieb Greg Hellings:
>
> > > I already have the SWORD library building against the iPhone SDK in
> > > XCode (the command-line building process simply doesn't work).  I
> > > can't get Eloquent to build for iPhone because of a few missing
> > > Cocoa-based headers which the iPhone system doesn't have.  I suppose
> > > the next step is to go back to the drawing board and learn
> > Objective-
> > > C and the iPhone SDK's basic classes.
> >
> > Yes, that may be.
> > Which sources of Eloquent have you tried compiling? This project is
> > rather old and you might want to use other backend sources.
> >
> > I'm trying to build the version out of SVN on googlecode.  Is this
> > the "latest" repo of it?  As for other back end sources, I know of
> > no other Obj-C back end sources for SWORD.  If there are others,
> > which are more up-to-date, I'll happily use them.
>
> The 'original' sources of MacSword are more up-to-date.
> Eloquent project is more or less dead. The sources have been merged
> into MacSword 1.4 branch and trunk partly.

I pulled trunk - is that supposed to be the latest version, or is 1.4 branch
newer?  It still fails to compile against the current SVN of sword,
complaining of the sword::VerseKey class lacking the NewIndex() function on
line 186 of SwordSearching.mm.  I don't know if that method has been pulled
out since the version MacSword 1.4 and, if so, what method to replace it
with now.

> Do you have any concrete question?

I finally found their basic introduction documentation, which starts with an
explanation of their Cocoa development model - so it looks like that's
finally taken care of.

--Greg