[sword-devel] New OSIS chapter/verse checking utility

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 08:07:00 MST 2008

Hi David,

My friend Peter is right, one has to be very careful in exactly how one
approaches the copyright owners.

I'm in contact with a pastor in Sweden who developed a Go Bible version of
the Swedish FolkBibeln, with permission from the publishers. I could easily
put him in contact you if you send me a private email.

Go Bible Creator 2.3.2 (beta) can now handle three source-text formats:
OSIS, ThML and USFM.

OSIS is preferable for making SWORD modules, but ThML usually suffices for
the simpler requirements of Go Bible.  Moreover, OSIS structured as
Book|Section|Paragraph rather than Book|Chapter|Verse is not immediately
suitable for use with Go Bible Creator.

I have experience of processing multiple HTML files to a single ThML file
(via several intermediate steps).

My initials steps when format shifting from HTML are:

1. Open each HTML file in MS Word, and Save as RTF format.
2. Open each RTF file using WordPad, and Save as Unicode text format, which
uses UTF-16.  This removes a lot of the presentation formating.
3. Open each Unicode text file using either Notepad++ or SC Unipad, and
change format to UTF-8 [without BOM]
4. Concatenate all the UTF-8 files using DataMystic TextPipe Standard,
taking care to first append an extra blank line to each file, and making
sure the files are joined in the correct order.
5. Open the single file in Notepad++, and decide what needs doing next by
way of further filtering. From then on, it usually requires a special ad hoc
filter to remove or replace various items which Go Bible cannot make use of.
6. I then have a number of well trodden steps to arrive at ThML via VPL.

Best regards,
David Haslam