[sword-devel] summary

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 23:40:52 MST 2008

> If we, as Christians, can't work together towards the goal of
> producing Bible software... ouch!  So I don't like Chris on e-mail
> lists.  To tell the truth, when I look at a majority of the e-mails I
> send on these lists, I probably wouldn't like myself, either.  All of
> us have faults, we have rough edges, we chafe one another.  Those
> under authority will always chafe under what they see as "oppressors"
> and those in authority will always become exasperated with the vocal
> "antagonists."  So we need to love each other, forgive each other and
> work with each other.  That's what keeps me here, helping out with
> SWORD and trying to figure out new ways to use it and push its
> features - I don't care if someone, or even everyone, on the list is a
> bit annoying to work with.

I have disagreements with several people on this list. Karl is one of
them, even though we have been working together quite extensively the
last two weeks. There are others that I still have disagreements with
even in these threads, but have actually become friends with. It is
easier to disagree with someone when they treat you with respect,
carefully explain the technical mistakes I am making without making
that the focus of the conversation, and don't judge your "respect for
authority" or "ideology". Several people here have encouraged me and
helped me off-list the last few days, including some of the silent
majority that is assumed supportive of the "official" policies. All of
you know who you are, thank you. I guess what I'm saying is, if I can
get along with others, but can't with Chris, I really don't know what
to do about it. I'm not being arrogant, I really don't know.

> So if modules are going to have to go through Chris, your best
> solution is to make the module perfect.  Without great documentation,
> that's not going to be easy at all.  So, as has been suggested, try
> reading the examples which have been posted in the list, read OSIS
> intro pages, and yeah - read the specification if you can manage (most
> official grammar/specifications are incomprehensible without training
> in Context-Free Grammars, but CGFs are surprisingly accessible).  Put
> it to work in creating a module - make it a module of nursery rhymes
> or family recipes with stories about them or something else like that
> if you don't have anything else to use - and ask oodles of questions
> on the list about aspects which confuse you, and document your
> progress on the Wiki.  It might take bloody ages, but by the end of
> it, you'll have a sample module, documentation about the process, and
> such a deep understanding of OSIS that you probably won't know what to
> do short of making more modules.  Keep them in SVN if you want, or git
> or bazaar or something else so others can help support you.

I have done this sort of thing. Unfortunately, as I said in another
thread, I don't have the time. If I do sometime and the documentation
still needs help, then I will. At this point for me to use TEI I would
need the sample entries I have asked for.

> Don't give up on SWORD.  The people here are dedicated, extremely
> knowledgeable and very helpful... if you learn how to get the proper
> help out of each one (asking very specific, pointed questions about
> OSIS usually gets a response from Chris, asking detailed questions
> about HTML or XML in general often gets a response from DM... who's
> even taught me a thing or two about them, questions about front-ends
> often get a response from Karl, Eeli, Martin, Manfred and recently
> some others and so on).  If you still can't deal with the situation...
> make your own repository like Karl has done, post it on the wiki, and
> put anything you want into it.  I haven't seen much, if any,
> consternation between Karl and Chris on the list since Karl's
> repository went online.  He has good content, people enjoy it, use it,
> and both he and Chris are happy with the arrangement.

While this may have decreased the tension, there is certainly still
tension as the last few days have shown. I appreciate your
encouragement. I will certainly stay involved with some of the
frontends and intend to work on some modules I've been thinking about.

Matthew