[sword-devel] Getting stuff done (Re: External links)

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Wed Nov 26 02:15:52 MST 2008

Chris Little wrote:
> then updating the module repeatedly until we
> finally find a good markup standard, we can get things right the first
> time

That is a totally wrong approach on so many levels. It holds us back all
the time, makes for module production times in years rather than weeks,
drives good people away and holds the project back.

All good frontends are capable of updating modules. It is easy.

Automatic update would be easy to add to most frontends (and could be
toggled for those behind dialups or under oppressive regimes)

If someone brings us a good text to include, then we should be able to
say - "here, it works" and then gradualy improve it to make it better,
richer and more conforming to whatever lofty standards we want to achieve.

By doing latter we create

a) momentum
b) gain additional helpers who remove bugs and update (instead of
driving them away)

If Wikipedia would rigidly enforce its increasingly arcane standards on
how a good article should look like by simply deleting valid, but less
then perfect articles it would be empty. Instead they put articles out,
tag them as unclean, stub, poor style or whatever and allow others to
work on them.

We should look at their model and not that of paper publishers who have
exactly one opportunity to prove themselves.

Peter