[sword-devel] Cross-compiling for Windows

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 09:30:08 MST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Daniel Glassey <dglassey at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/14 Karl Kleinpaste <karl at kleinpaste.org>:
>> "Matthew Talbert" <ransom1982 at gmail.com> writes:
>>> I have no idea about cross compiling, but Sword is built fairly easily
>>> under cygwin I believe, and I have just successfully built it with
>>> mingw in windows.
>>
>> Yes, Cygwin support has been good for a couple years now and I'm glad
>> mingw is moving well on the way so quickly, but I have to say that if
>> there is a way to do this kind of work from inside Linux, I am *very*
>> interested in knowing details.  That could solve a whole herd of
>> problems in a hurry, reducing the eventual needs for direct Windows
>> assistance to just the installer.
>
> To start:
> apt-get install mingw32

Or yum install mingw32 for Fedora users.

After that, there are a large number of guides for cross compiling
available on the web.  It's a bit of an arcane art, but it can be
done.  Often you have to explicitly set which commands to use for CC
and CXX and LD, etc, if the default ones installed on your system
aren't able to do cross compilation.

--Greg