[sword-devel] Japanese Bibles in Sword, XML tools to deal with Ruby etc.

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 09:30:01 MST 2008

In May 2007, I received the following information from someone working in
Japan:

"Copyright of Japanese Bibles is even more messed up than that of English
Bibles. I have been trying to persuade the company which publishes some of
the Japanese Bible translations to license the Bible for download, but last
I checked they were worried about people copying the file without paying for
it.

There is one free version: a translation of the English WEB New Testament
into Japanese, but nobody in the Japanese church will have heard of it!
It's the Denmo Bible -  http://www.cozoh.org/denmo/
http://www.cozoh.org/denmo/
The versions that the church actually uses are the Shinkayaku, the
Shinkoudouyaku and the Kogoyaku. "

My own researches uncovered the following:

History of Japanese Bible Translation
http://www.bible.or.jp/e/history.html  http://www.bible.or.jp/e/history.html

Also found this:

Japan and web evangelism - A missed mission opportunity
http://ied.gospelcom.net/japan-web-evangelism.php
http://ied.gospelcom.net/japan-web-evangelism.php

One of the ‘major modern mission misses’ (shall we call these ‘4Ms’?) of our
time is the huge disparity between the highly-wired, tech-loving 127-million
Japanese population, and the searing lack of online evangelism in the
Japanese language. Many aspects of the Web are very popular in Japan...

-- David