[sword-devel] Java ME application?

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 06:47:02 MST 2008

Go Bible is being adopted by CrossWire as its Java ME application.
An agreement was reached earlier this year with the program's author Jolon
Faichney.

We are therefore looking for volunteers to help progress the transition.
There are already some pages under construction about Go Bible here...
http://crosswire.org/gobible/ http://crosswire.org/gobible/

Troy has asked me to lead the project, and we really need a lot of helpers.
Anyone who would like to become involved, please contact me.

It's unlikely that Go Bible would ever become a fully functional FrontEnd to
the SWORD API.
One has to remember the limitations of Java ME and mobile phone hardware.
Not to mention the wide variety of mobile phone models from different
manufacturers.
Moreover, Go Bible is primarily a free Bible viewer, not an application for
reading other types of documents.

I have 18 months experience in using Go Bible Creator, and have contact with
most of the users of Go Bible Creator worldwide.
I am also the most active member of the Go Bible Forum, under my username
DFH.

Go Bible Creator works with either ThML or OSIS files as the source text
format, and more recently with the added capability to use USFM files (as
from version 2.3.2).

OSIS files that use 'milestones' for verse numbers are not directly
compatible with Go Bible Creator.
It currently requires verse tags as a 'container' for the verse text.
GoBibleDataFormat is structured as
Book => Chapter => Verse
rather than
Book => Section => Paragraph

There are two related Google groups, one for Go Bible, and one for Go Bible
Dev.

Lots of different types of activities will need to be planned in order to
successfully migrate the working and support environments from their present
form to one within the CrossWire community.

PS.

I am not involved with anything for the Symbian platform, nor is Go Bible.
For Symbian S60 phones that do not have J2ME, there is some activity on the
world wide web.
For anyone interested further, take a look at the Google group called
symbianbible.
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/symbianbible?hl=en
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/symbianbible?hl=en

-- David Haslam