[sword-devel] Featured Page

DJ Ortley djortley at gmail.com
Tue May 13 09:45:23 MST 2008

OK, I know this could very easily become a touchy subject, but I think its
one that I think would be worth throwing around, even if not every actually
implemented.

I'm thinking back to the thread we had a while back discussing the article
that compared various bible software.  From that thread and also from some
other things I've seen, I wonder if it would be a good idea to somehow
restructure things to showcase what we consider the best/most full featured
front ends for Sword.  In one regard, It may not be the best idea to single
out peoples' work as better than others, but it seems that a lot of press
surrounding sword seems to center on the main Windows front end, which isn't
exactly considered the best option by quite a number of people.  I'm not
intending insult to anybody here, I know a lot of work has gone into that
front end in the past.

I wonder if it would be good to introduce people to the most polished
products first, and then create an easy to get to place that showcases
everything that's been done with the api.  I'm mainly thinking about
www.crosswire.org.  Maybe a list of most popular front ends, then have a
side bar that exposes the full set of options for any given environment
(Linux, Windows, PalmOS, etc..)

Thoughts?

-DJ