[sword-devel] TEI markup support

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Mon May 12 16:54:03 MST 2008

Hi Chris,

My views are below...

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org>

> Our plans are to use TEI for dictionary encoding from here forth. At the
> moment we have some support for both P4 and P5 conversion to RTF (used
> by BibleCS), plain, and HTMLHREF (used by GnomeSword, BPBible?,
> others?). So...
Yes, BPBible uses the htmlhref filter (at least inherits from it)

> Issue 1:
> Which filters remain necessary before we can declare that we support TEI
> and ship 1.5.11 with TEI support sufficient for all of the major
> frontends?
> I assume no one parses GBF, ThML, or OSIS directly for rendering. Does
> anyone use the plain HTML filter? (I'll tackle the WEBIF filters and do
> any revisions to the HTMLHREF that seem necessary.)

I very much doubt anyone uses the plain html filter - it doesn't even
support osis.
Is it worth dropping this from the library?

> Issue 2:
> I think DM and I (so far CrossWire's only 2 TEI encoders) are agreed on
> using the more recent TEI P5 for CrossWire-encoded texts. None of these
> are yet available publicly, but DM's NASB lexicons use P5 now and my
> (coming soon) revision of Webster's Dictionary uses it.
> Everything currently posted uses P4 (which was current at the time they
> were encoded). That includes stuff from Perseus (which came to us as
> TEI) and things from the Germanic Lexicons Project (which were encoded
> in TEI by me).
> Should we:
> a) support TEI P4 and P5 separately (so we would need TEI P4 and P5
> flavors of the filters targeting RTF, HTMLHREF, WEBIF, plain,
> etc.)--This would require extra work and a larger memory footprint than
> the other options.
> b) support TEI P4 and P5 jointly (one filter for TEI, irrespective of
> version, for each target markup)--This would be possible because there's
> not that much significant difference, but would be slighly wasteful.
> c) convert TEI P4 docs to P5

> I think I prefer option c. It shouldn't be that difficult given the
> standards' similarity.

c definitely sounds the best choice.

> --Chris

God Bless,
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness,
but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish,
but that all should reach repentance.
2 Peter 3:9 (ESV)