[sword-devel] Hi I'm new and I am interested to bring Sword to the iPhone platform

Nathan Youngman junkmail at nathany.com
Wed May 7 13:18:45 MST 2008

Hi Greg,

I must have missed that one about GPL. Maybe Apple's agreement will
change after the iPhone SDK comes out of beta. We'll have to wait and
see.

Until then, any development would live in the tension between the two
licenses... though I personally wouldn't expect the first line of code
to be publicly available under GPL... some experimentation should be
fine, no? Then just hoping that Apple's license changes once out of
beta. One could check the licenses for Mac OS X development to get an
idea. Apple themselves link to a lot of open source code.

Otherwise it sounds like the only option for now is to not use the
Sword library (assuming it is to remain GPL). Though I assume using
Sword modules would be fine, as the last few days I've seen mention of
other apps that import the modules. Locked modules and distribute only
from CrossWire modules... perhaps not.

- nj