[sword-devel] Hi I'm new and I am interested to bring Sword to the iPhone platform

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed May 7 12:44:12 MST 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Nathan Youngman <junkmail at nathany.com> wrote:

>  Greg,
>
>  Oh... I thought it was an iPhone web app (with offline data) that may
>  have licensing issues (with Sword modules)?

There is an issue with that (i.e. are we allowed to host
Crosswire-only modules on the web tool AND store certain data about
them in sqlite on the iPhone).  I never heard anyone give a definite
answer to whether that would violate our license or not.

>  So long as the Sword module data is downloaded into the native
>  applications sandbox, I'm unaware of any iPhone licensing issues.

Someone raised the point in an earlier thread that currently the
iPhone SDK's license agreement does not allow any dissemination of the
information that iPhone developers receive from apple.  Legal experts
from GNU claim that, under its current wording (as of Beta 3), the
iPhone Developer Agreement disallows the development of GPL-like
software on the iPhone.  So long as the SWORD Library is only
available under GPL and GPL-like licenses, the iPhone is not open to
development of a native SWORD interface application (unless someone
were to separate out the application from the library in some sort of
remote server/client format, and license the application under an
iPhone-compatible license).

If anyone has heard that this has changed, I'd be happy to know.

--Greg