[sword-devel] List of global options

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon May 5 12:49:40 MST 2008

On Mon, 5 May 2008, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> I respectfully disagree.  If a frontend wants to localize these strings,
> they can pass them to their own localization engine, just like any other
> string.  Worse case, if the string hasn't been localized, then at least
> the english option will be available.  Some frontends may not even want
> to display "Strong's Numbers", like a mobile app, and they should
> display what they want.  Don't think of them as English text, if it
> bothers you; think of them as constant key values.

The "key values" are not a big problem and I see how they can be used as
they were arbitrary enum numbers. The "tooltip" is worse: I never want
to show an English string in localized UI. If the string is localized
it must be written in the frontend source code as a C string. It means
that it can't be localized properly in other way than duplicating the
string. And that means the original string is useless in the library.

This would work properly if all frontend translators would add the
library specific translations into the library, not into the frontends.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland