[sword-devel] Announcing FireBible 0.5.1 - GPLed Firefox font-end

Brian Fernandes infernalproteus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 15:43:05 MST 2008

Matthew,

Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know that it *can* work on the
Mac. With Apple's rep with Java I was afraid it may have been curbed in
such a way as to make it impossibly difficult.

I cannot do anything about FF's file selector dialog but I'm pleasantly
surprised that it worked even after you pointed to a location in the
bundle :)

David,

Thanks for spreading the word! I'll post a note to the Go Bible forums
myself the next time.

Let me respond to some of your notes:

 >You need to configure its options after installing, to point to the
 >JSword application directory and to the folder[s] containing the bible
 >modules.

The latter is only required if you want to pick up modules outside
~/.sword, those in ~/.sword will be picked up automatically. The
documentation / UI does not currently make this clear enough, will fix.

 >If you have more than one Firefox window open, toggling the FireBible
 >toolbar only affects the current window.
 >This is unusual for toolbar addons.
 >If you Save Session and Exit and then restart Firefox, the toolbar
 >appears in both Windows.

Interesting use case which I never really thought about. Good catch,
probably a bug in the extension. Something to note is that the extension
will not work if the UI is not visible (will be fixed). It's okay if you
disable the FireBible toolbar, as long as you move the UI to another
location.

 >The Bible must be index before it can be searched. This was quite
slow. >Each module has to be indexed separately.

JSword 1.0.8 should include a new version of Lucene which will make this
much faster. So when you point FB to that performance will improve.

 >Even so, the search results have their own URLs. Here's search results
 >for Aaron.
 >bible://exodus%204%3a14..... (truncated for brevity)

 >btw. I tried saving this using TinyURL, but that didn't work.
 >http://tinyurl.com/26qb2g

Here is my tinyurl which works: http://tinyurl.com/2qrx53

I looked up your URL and it expands to the unescaped version of the
actual URL ("exodus 4" instead of "exodus%204"). Because of this only
the first segment is parsed by FB and only Exodus 4 shows up instead of
the search results.

I cannot understand why this happened, did you copy & paste the original
URL from the address bar into tinyURL or use another extension?

 >  Using the search feature with a right to left script such as Farsi
is >a bit tricky, but it did work, which is quite an achievement.
 >You have to learn how the delete and backspace keys work for the
search >key.

I never really thought about this. I guess if a RtoL book is selected,
the search field should be in RtoL mode too, right? I suppose this is
supported by FF when you're entering data into a form field on a
webpage, but have you seen it supported by any FF UI widgets? I will try
and find out more.

Thanks again for taking the time to go through FB!
Brian.