[sword-devel] Slightly Off-topic: Bible verse memorisation project

Luke Plant L.Plant.98 at cantab.net
Thu Mar 27 03:36:04 MST 2008

Hi all,

In the course of getting serious about learning Bible verses and
passages, I decided I needed a method of choosing Bible verses and
putting together schemes, and that other people could benefit from
this.  I couldn't find much that was freely available and met all my
needs, so I've written a project to help me do this, and published
the (unfinished) results here:

  http://lukeplant.me.uk/bibleverses/index.html

Basic outline:
 - Use a set of YAML documents to define:
    - verses with categories and comments
    - topics
    - schemes
 - Pull all these together using Python scripts
 - Use Sword, via Python bindings, to grab the actual Bible verse
   where it hasn't been included in the YAML
 - Output web pages

I've come up with a huge number of topics that I'd like to cover, and
I'm not done, and I've realised I could use some help in filling it
out with actual Bible verses.  The main help I'm looking for is
verses to be added to the YAML documents -- there are huge gaps and
many obvious and important passages missed out -- but any other
improvements would be welcome too.

The code is all available from that site (for the moment, via
Mercurial and Mercurial web interface only, with links for the main
YAML documents).  It's a bit rough around the edges, but there is a
README etc which should be enough to get going.

I haven't put a licence file anywhere in it yet, but I intend to
release under BSD or possibly public domain to make this as widely
useful as possible.

Best regards,

Luke

P.S. This is my personal project, and I'm providing sources so anyone
can fork it, so in the case of theological differences (choice about
Bible versions, importance of verses, comments etc), I'm going to
have to use the age old conflict resolution technique called "I'm the
boss" :-)

--
"I washed a sock. Then I put it in the dryer. When I took it out, it
was gone."  (Steven Wright)

Luke Plant || http://lukeplant.me.uk/