[sword-devel] Debian/Ubuntu packages?

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Jun 11 06:08:01 MST 2008

Apparently we need some packager collaboration and discussion here.
There have been changes recently in BibleTime packaging. Daniel Glassey
was the Debian packager and Ubuntu used those or maybe modified
packages.  Daniel had a bad habit of being late with packages (no
blaming here, but we have to be realistic). Now Ralph Janke is
responsible for the Debian BibleTime package and the current version in
unstable is 1.6.5.1. He also has Ubuntu packages here:
https://launchpad.net/~txwikinger/+archive. This means that BibleTime is
in good shape now for many Debian based distros.

Daniel is still the maintainer for GnomeSword and sword library. They
lack behind. I suggest that Ralph, Daniel and Dominique who has both
packages in his pages http://dominique.corbex.net/gnomesword/ discuss
about this and divide the workload so that GS and sword would be
up-to-date, too. Maybe Daniel could take the packages from Dominique and
publish them? Or could Dominique become an official maintainer?

It might be even useful to have a mailing list for the sword related
packages (for all distros, all packagers).

Technical note: dfsg means Debian Free Software Guidelines and with
BibleTime it meant that the Bible Study Howto was not open and had to be
removed from the Debian package. We (Martin) managed to change the
licence and it's now included.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland