[sword-devel] Some questions...

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Mon Jun 2 01:20:01 MST 2008

JECompton wrote:
> I do have some questions:
> - Where can I learn how to install the newest svn version of some source
> code w/o it conflicting w/ the SWORD-based programs like gnomesword I
> have installed for daily use?

What i have done is creating a development directory way outside my
ordinary $PATH in which I install everything I am playing around with.
So if I want to execute a development version of gnomesword I simply do

[path_to_my_development_binaries]/gnomesword2

> - I am particularly interested in computational linguistics, semiotics,
> and theoretical work that might lead to more effective computer-aided
> translation. I don't know where to start, though. I've taken discrete
> math and linear algebra, but I just don't know where to look for more
> information on this subject. I would feel deeply indebted to anyone who
> could direct me further.

I am clueless on the matter as such, second Chris suggestion and but I
stumbled a while back on some interesting real-time translation projects
based on some Californian university  which use festival for language
output. I am on the run just now and can not look them out, but maybe
Google is helpful.

Peter