[sword-devel] Sword enhancement proposal [was: HTML filter cross references link]

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 23:57:49 MST 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:17 PM, Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org> wrote:
> PS.  You are very welcome to contribute to the engine code!  In fact, my
> hope is that most of the work currently done in the frontends, which
> isn't UI specific might merge and be added as a feature in the engine.

This is a nice idea, but I suspect that it is in general not
practicable.  The generally quoted figure is that it will take about
three times as much work to develop a reusable component as to develop
a purpose specific one.  That would suggest to me that you would
really want to have two or three front end developers committed to
using and developing a feature before it's worth taking it out of one
application and putting it into Sword.

In particular, I would prefer not to backport Python code from BPBible
to C++, and it would need to be being used by quite a few applications
to be worthwhile.

Jon