[sword-devel] Purge SwordReader

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 20 09:13:35 MST 2008

One of the advantages of SWORD programs as portable apps is that one
could put the programs and modules on a camera's or cell phone's flash
card with lots of room to spare. This would be virtually undetectable
in countries where Christians are persecuted.

Both The SWORD Project for Windows (BibleCS) and BibleDesktop are
suitable portable apps. In time BibleTime should be too.

For BibleCS just install it to any Windows machine, leaving traces,
then copy that to a USB stick (c:\Program Files\CrossWire). Finally,
uninstall it from the local machine, removing traces (though not a
secure erase). It would be easy enough to create a zip that would be
appropriate to go directly to the USB stick.

BibleDesktop is a little bit more involved as it needs to include a
jre. But the reward is that the singular installation runs on PC, Mac
and Linux. See www.crosswire.org/~dmsmith/bd for details.

BibleTime is being rewritten using QT and promises to be portable and
cross-platform.

I think with a little effort, it would be possible to run MacSword as
a portable app.

I think this is in CrossWire's FAQ.

In Him,
	DM