[sword-devel] EVC3 Compile Errors

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Jul 14 19:20:04 MST 2008

Indeed, there are some heavy modifications going on in the engine currently.

Though your discover of this problem brings to light an interesting idea...

It seems that EVC3 compile is not building with CLUCENE, which is
expected.  Getting clucene to compile for mobile devices might be a
challenge.

fastSearch was actually being REMOVED from the codebase-- not added.

It was an old prototype implementation of a speedy search using a
prebuilt word dictionary.  It was only added to the 'Raw' drivers, for
experimentation.

It would be interesting to osis2mod the KJV as a rawtext module, load it
up into SwordReader, add a menu choice to SwordReader to "Build Search
Index" which simply makes a call to:

currentModule->createSearchFramework();

you don't need to supply the optional progress bar indicator to the
method, for now, just to test.

Then use SwordReader to perform a simple multi-word search and see if
the speed is fast.  And check to see if the index doesn't end up taking
too much space on the disk.

fastSearch was added as a quick attempt to provide an indexed search
mechanism for systems that couldn't build clucene.  No one ever used it,
as everyone seems to build clucene... except for EVC-- which might be
the natural place to try it out.

Of course, you will have to use an older rev of sword than what is in
trunk, as we just removed it... but it wouldn't be difficult to add it
back in under a more base class like SWModule, so that every module type
could take advantage of it, including compressed modules.

Let me know if anyone gets curious and tries it out.  It would be nice
to put that code to use, instead of the current direction to remove it
entirely.

	-Troy.