[sword-devel] Bibletime or Gnomesword packages for EEEPC ?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun Jul 13 19:18:53 MST 2008

Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> writes:
>> We have a wiki page regarding Eee PC running Linux.
>
> The downside of that page's recommendation to use the standard Debian
> repos is that the version of GnomeSword present there is chronically way
> out of date.  domcox' builds are always very recent.

By all means, *please* update the wiki page
(http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/index.php/Misc:EeePC, for easy reference)
to whatever is the best practice right now. Some BibleTime installation
instructions would be nice, as well.

What's there right now is just the best I could come up with in the
limited time that I had my girlfriend's Eee before putting XP on it.
Based on my limited experience with the Eee, my first piece of advice,
really, is to replace the OS. The Ubuntu Netbook Remix
(https://edge.launchpad.net/netbook-remix) looks like a promising
project, if not necessarily mature. Standard Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian,
etc. should also be fine. I know there are plenty of guides available
for installing these on the Eee. WinXP also works fine, if that's where
your heart truly lies. :)

--Chris