[sword-devel] Den Norsk Bibelen - possible digitization artefacts (-)

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Sat Jul 12 11:22:17 MST 2008

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, David Haslam <d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> I have just discovered that there are 1286 occurrences of the token (-) in
> the text of the Norwegian Bible module Den Norsk Bibelen.

That might be correct. I don't have a copy of this translation; Norwegian
is not one of my languages.

However, Swedish is a language I speak. When I started learning it the
first thing I spotted was the major difference in punctuation use. Where a
Brit would put a period the Swedes would write an exclamation; it was
always grammatical in effect.

I have check my printed edition of the recent Biblen 2000 (modern Swedish
translation) and a straw poll of random pages shows me various uses of
m-dash/n-dash; enough that would make me thing the hyphen-tokens you are
seeing in the Danish module are intensional.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!