[sword-devel] JapKougo

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 09:02:55 MST 2008

I'm wondering whether it is encoded sufficiently. I see how the module
is marked, but it doesn't seem that it maps well to the definition of
ruby. I'm not sure of the OSIS semantic that is being used.

The w3c definition of ruby (see: http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby/) allows for
markup for renders that do not understand ruby, using

Here are a couple of w3c examples:
Simple markup, where the text follows the original:
<ruby>
  <rb>WWW</rb>
</ruby>

This would be rendered one of two ways depending on whether the renderer
understood ruby:
With understanding (note that the render can put the base above or below):
WWW
World Wide Web
or
WWW (World Wide Web)

Another example:
Here is two ruby texts for one base. The <rbc> and <rtc> elements define
parallel arrays.
<ruby>
  <rbc>
  </rbc>
  <rp>(</rp>
  <rtc>
  </rtc>
  <rp> -- </rp>
  <rtc>
    <rt rbspan="3">Expiration Date</rt>
  </rtc>
  <rp>)</rp>
</ruby>

With understanding this might be rendered:
Month  Day  Year
10         31     2002
  Expiration Date
Without understanding it would be:
10 31 2002 (Month Day Year -- Expiration Date)

type="x-rp">)</w>?

The parentheses would be shown using today's filters, but not by one
that can handle it.

In Him,
    DM