[sword-devel] SwordReader PocketPC and SmartPhone CAB files.

SonWon sonwon.1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 18:27:59 MST 2008

David,

Thank you very much for the CAB.  I can see many changes now from the
last time I looked at the SwordReader.  Great job on the HTML window,
single taps work!  :)  Can it tell a verse number from Strong's numbers
or other numbers?

The gui looks real clean.  I would prefer the navigate features to be
single tap access instead of having to tap into a menu.  Is there a
reason behind the current menu system, like M$ usability guidelines?

Hmm, I wish I had all of the history of how everything got to where it
is.  No don't take the time to explain.  :)

Also since there is a delay in the rendering it would be a good idea to
throw up the busy icon until the speed is worked out.  Psalm 119 will
likely always be slow (6 seconds on my Spring Mogul, 2.5 seconds on
Gen.), so busy will be good to leave in.  This at least lets the user
know there is something happening.  I think we can get enough speed so
we don't need to go to a paging system.

I would like to be able to drag a scrollbar and have the verses count
down as I do to quickly go to a specific verse.  It looks like you know
which line each verse starts on so I think this can be done.

Also how can we highlight a section to copy and paste?  I would guess we
could just open a verse copy dialog window.  However, non Bible text
will be harder.  Left or right drags could be for selecting text, I
think that would work.

The reader trys to change screen orientation but doesn't work quite right.

The book selection screen should be split somehow so there is a
difference between Old and New Testament selections.  Hmm, how to handle
the books between Old and New?

The chapter selection when selecting books between 101-150 chapters
stays at this screen for the next navigation selection even for books
with less than 100 chapters.  The screen should make it easy on the user
and reset.  Also back navigation button so I can retreat if i tap wrong,
cancel too.

Overall this looks really great compared to 6 years ago.

Can't hardly wait to see the code.

The VM is up, Win 2K is loaded now just updating.  I'll be on EVC4 until
I can get a copy of Visual Studio.  I think I am getting a free student
edition since my son is a student.

Thanks,

David Trotz wrote:
> Guys,
> I have assembled a couple of CAB files for the Windows Mobile platform
> for both the PocketPC and SmartPhone.
> These are alpha builds so if you are not feeling risky, then please do
> not download them, I cannot guarantee that these builds won't melt your
> device.
>
> Grab them at:
> Pocket PC:
> http://www.swordreader.org/builds/pocket_pc/SwordReader_PocketPC_090alpha1_07062008.CAB
>
> SmartPhone:
> http://www.swordreader.org/builds/smartphone/SwordReader_SmartPhone_090alpha1_07062008.CAB
>
> There are several issues that still need to be addressed, but feel free
> to chime in and report any bugs or interface changes you feel should be
> made.
>
> Many thanks to Albert Sites for his time getting SwordReader working on
> the SmartPhone.
>
> Many thanks also for the renewed interest by many of you in this
> project, its really come alive in the past six months and more so in the
> last month. The dev team is starting to grow. Praise God!
>
> In Christ,
> David Trotz

SonWon

I choose God and all that my choice entails in this life even unto death and look forward to the new life that will come.