[sword-devel] osis2mod and preverse content

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 7 16:47:47 MST 2008

On Jul 7, 2008, at 7:27 PM, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

> "Troy A. Griffitts" <scribe at crosswire.org> writes:
>> Yes!  I have also been wanting to change preverse title to simply a
>> preverse div for quite some time!  The change WILL REQUIRE EACH
>> FRONTEND
>> TO MAKE UPDATES, as each look in the EntryAttributes for preverse
>> TITLE
>> currently.
>
> Well...  No, GS doesn't do that.  This piece of the code is older than
> my participation in GS development; though I've moved it around a
> couple
> times, the basics still haven't changed much.  It's based on a loop
> looking for incrementing "heading" until it runs out of headings,
> thus:
>
> backend->get_entry_attribute("Heading", "Preverse", heading)) != NULL
>
> That backend call is driven by:
>
> display_mod->getEntryAttributes()[level1][level2][level3].c_str()

I hadn't thought about the change to apps, but I expected changes to
the engine and perhaps the apps.

I guess it makes sense to treat the content as a heading, but not
entirely.

In OSIS, there can be canonical material that is inter/pre-verse, e.g.
the titles in Psalms are canonical. But it can also be that there is
some that is non-canonical. Plus, I would expect rich markup of the
entire of the div, with notes, divine name, Strong's numbers,
transChange, ....

I know some changes were made toward rich markup, but I don't know how
much.

I think we can mock up a module in imp format and use that to make the
engine and app changes.

I'll be working on osis2mod, but will need someone else to do the
filter work.

-- DM