[sword-devel] SwordReader PocketPC and SmartPhone CAB files.

David Trotz dtrotzjr at crosswire.org
Mon Jul 7 07:18:34 MST 2008

Troy,
> Just a note regarding the comment that the SWORD engine take > 6 seconds
> to render psalm119...
>
> If this is the case there is a bug somewhere.

Perhaps there is a bug, because...
> It usually takes < 6 seconds to render an entire Bible to a file on a
> low end PC, which I'm guessing is about the same power as todays handhelds.
>
> My guess is that the extreme amount of tags in the text is taking the
> HTML renderer the time.

... it takes my HTML renderer very little time (1s for Psalm 119 w/ full
markup in ESV) to render any given text. I have tested this by
preloading text from a file then shoving it into the HTML renderer. But
as soon as we start to query sword for text from a module we take a
significant performance hit. Its only if I turn off all the extra
features in the text such as strong's numbers or footnotes in ESV that
things are very fast. Perhaps you can look at how we are pulling text
from sword and see if there is something wrong with our methodology?
> Just trying to pass the buck until someone PROVES to me that we need
> optimization in the engine. :)

I understand that all too well. ;-)

BTW have you given it a run on your new smartphone?

In Christ,
David Trotz