[sword-devel] Coptic Book module

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun Jan 27 15:10:28 MST 2008

I'm certainly not the arbiter of orthodoxy, but have a couple points to
mention. First, CrossWire definitely isn't an Evangelical organization
in the sense that we have a statement of faith that aligns with some
subset of churches that have been categorized as Evangelical. We're
evangelical in the sense that we're working to spread the Gospel. But
we're fairly explicitly not aligned with any specific church or creed.

That said, we do have to draw the line of orthodoxy somewhere this side
of Jesus Christ Superstar. The Book of Mormon & Joseph Smith's
translation fall on the other side, so we have them tagged as unorthodox
in the repository. I'm guessing you would like to avoid having that
happen in this case.

I don't know where monophysitism falls with respect to our loosely
defined metric of orthodoxy, but my vote would be to add this text to
the repository. It helps to build bridges, which is a good thing. And if
it's in Coptic, anyone likely to voice an objection couldn't possibly
read it to know to object anyway. And it gets bonus points for being in
a cool language.

I think I have some Coptic Bibles sitting somewhere, too. I could
fast-track them if you think that would help your efforts.

--Chris