[sword-devel] Lucene, new version soon

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 10:28:46 MST 2008

FYI,

Lucene (Java) will be releasing version 2.3 soon. This release will
mark yet again a significant performance increase. The JSword index
code running under Lucene 1.4.3 took > 5 minutes to index the ESV.
Currently, it takes ~1 minute using 2.2. With 2.3, it will take ~25
seconds.

The next release will be 2.4, will be a preparatory release for the 3x
series, introducing the 3.x APIs. Shortly after 2.4 will be 2.9, whose
purpose is to serve as a beta for 3.0, marking old APIs as deprecated.

The key difference between 2.9 and 3.0 will be removal of deprecated
interfaces and a Java 5.0 requirement.

With regard to compatibility, each release in a major series (e.g.
1.x, 2.x, 3.x) guarantees full backward compatibility. When going from
1.x to 2.x or 2.x to 3.x, backward compatibility is maintained for
file formats. This is significant because 3.x is planned to be unable
to read 1.x indexes.

JSword will probably upgrade shortly after each release of Lucene, but
as long as we support MacOSX 10.3 we will also be supporting Java
1.4.2. And that means not going to Lucene 3.x unless it can also run
under Java 1.4.2. I think I will be, with the support of the Lucene
team, be maintaining a parallel Java 1.4.2 down graded port of Lucene.

With regard to cLucene, this is important because cLucene is still at
1.4.3 compatibility, even after Lucene 2.0 was released 19 months ago
(May 2006). There are only a few active developers on cLucene and
while much has been done to port 2.0, there still remains much to be
done. It still cannot read or create a 2.x index.

Working together for Christ's Kingdom,
	DM