[sword-devel] Translation efforts pooling

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Thu Jan 3 17:09:54 MST 2008

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, peter wrote:
> Doing this I thought we really should have a mechanism which draws all
> current and previous Sword based translation effort together - while the
> GUIs are obviously very different a lot - maybe 80% -90% ? - will be
> simply re-arrangement of the same words and phrases. A lot could
> therefore be made easier for all of us.

Good idea. We don't yet have a main page for the frontend
collaboration/co-operation in the wiki but this would be a subpage. Not
only translation but also choosing English words and phrases is very
important for usability. We could discuss about those things. For
example, BT has Bookshelf Manager and BibleCS has Install Manager while
both Managers manage "modules". It could be better to have consistent
naming conventions in all Sword related text, whether it be an
application UI, webpage, help file or support mailing list.

Of course nobody is forced to follow these conventions but at least we
could discuss about them.

> Should not my translation effort of e.g. BD result in BT or GS
> automatically getting at least partially translated?

I think not, but if we would write an English dictionary and
then glossaries for other languages it could help greatly both frontend
developers and translators.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland