[sword-devel] Module Add-Ins Question

peter refdoc at gmx.net
Tue Jan 1 09:18:27 MST 2008

mmital wrote:
> Thanks for that.
>
> 1) For the modules that can only be distributed by crosswire, I have a link
> on my page that takes the user to the crosswire society's module download
> page. Is the hotlinking acceptable?

I can not speak for Crosswire, so you must wait for the response here.

> 2) The crosswire module page provides the option of raw download vs. windows
> exe download. The windows self installing exe is really more convenient
> method for the user I think.
>
> Is there a way that windows module installation file can provides a screen
> to the user to choose/change installation directory? If not, is it
> acceptable that SwordBible program searches the user's hard drive and also
> loads modules from sword project's directory? (kind of like borrowing from
> the neighbour)

There are two main installation directories used in Crosswire Windows
software

C:/Program Files/Crosswire/

and

C:/Users and Documents/[username]/.sword

I hope I got this right, but I do not use Windows, so this is from memory.

I think the first is considered the standard directory for systemwide
installation, while latter is good for single-user installations.

BibleCS can read only the first, while BibleDesktop will read both and a
few more locations. BD searches the whole system for modules and there
is nothing wrong with it.

Not being a programmer, but simply argueing from common sense I would
suggest that you do use the standard directories for your own software
or at least enable standard directories for yoru software. This enables
less computer aware users to use whatever software they like, to try out
several and always have all their already downloaded and installed
modules available.

HTH.

Peter