[sword-devel] SWORDWeb / MacOSX

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 12:16:13 MST 2008

Troy,

On Feb 4, 2008 12:06 PM, Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org> wrote:
> Greg,
>
> The ultimate goal is to get Java to talk to the C++ backend, so just the
> Java component alone is not useful.

I was afraid you might say that.

> Regarding the backend, did you supply an appropriate --prefix for MacOSX
> when configuring orbitcpp?  It should be relative to where ORBit was
> installed.  Have you done a 'make install' on orbitcpp?  What fails and
> where?  There is a --backenddir option available on the idl compiler, so
> maybe we can pass this if the paths aren't working well on the mac.

While executing the 'make' step for orbitcpp I get the following:
orbit-idl-2 -l c /sw/share/idl/orbit-2.0//CosNaming.idl
orbit-idl-2 2.14.7 compiling
  mode, hide preprocessor errors, passes: stubs skels common headers

Processing file /sw/share/idl/orbit-2.0//CosNaming.idl
orbit-idl-2 --backenddir=../../../orbitcpp/idl-compiler/.libs -l cpp
/sw/share/idl/orbit-2.0//CosNaming.idl
orbit-idl-2 2.14.7 compiling
  mode, hide preprocessor errors, passes: stubs skels common headers

Processing file /sw/share/idl/orbit-2.0//CosNaming.idl

** (orbit-idl-2:79844): WARNING **: idl-compiler backend not found.

** (orbit-idl-2:79844): WARNING **:
/sw/share/idl/orbit-2.0//CosNaming.idl compilation failed
make[4]: *** [CosNaming-cpp-common.cc] Error 1

As I said - I know nothing about idl/ORBit, and everything I've found
online seems to say exactly like you're saying - give it some sort of
--backenddir.  But I don't know what it wants in that backend
directory, and when I've tried to give it the directory for some of
the other IDL/ORBit libraries, I got the same result.  It behaves the
same when I try to compile the Corba bindings for Sword - it will
succeed on a few of the files, then eventually dump with the same
error message.

Has anyone seen an updated version of orbitcpp?  I'm trying to build
1.3.9, but that is, like I said, about 4 years old.

--Greg