[sword-devel] New SWORD website - update

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 22:16:30 MST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
> Or
>> removing our portfolio of apps and subdividing them into a nice useful
>> software finder, as you have done.  This is why I preferred the old site
>> style: basically CrossWire had only 1 main "brochure" page that tried to
>> catch the eye of potential ministry partners and users.  If we caught
>> their attention and won a 2nd click, then we could take them to a more
>> useful site like The SWORD Project which had modules, source,
>> dev-mailing list info, etc.
>
> The real problem here, Troy, and I think I have some difficulties
> getting this through to you long timers, the old SWORD website is dead.
> Long live the Wiki!
>
> When I joind CrossWire, all info ever available was on the SWORD site.
> Module making, conf file layout etc took several pages. API, SVN
> instructions, user documentation, how to install a module, FAQ, etc etc.
> So much of this is gutted - certainly all really useful developers info
> is now in the Wiki. I have long ceased to use the the SWORD site for
> anything really but the occasional glimpse into the module list.

I don't know where you the claim that The SWORD Project site is dead
from - I can tell you exactly one time when I looked at the wiki: when
someone else made a FAQ entry about an iPhone front-end and asked
anyone who might try to tackle it to edit the info there.  I still go
there for all the rest of my information except for actual code
documentation, for which I go straight to the Doxygen files that I
posted in ~ghellings.  I detest and despise wikis based on the
MediaWiki code - their links and tabs are often difficult for me to
use, their editing functions are unintuitive and I think they're just
far too cluttered and ugly.  For the same reason I avoid using fora
and most bug trackers.  So for me, my exclusive interactions with The
SWORD website are the static site and the Doxygen.

As for the specific site changes... are they live on the main
crosswire.org site?  The actual /sword/ section doesn't look
noticeably different to my eyes than it did before, but maybe I'm just
not remembering it correctly.  The main CrossWire page, though, looks
updated and wonderful.

--Greg