[sword-devel] New SWORD website - update

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Tue Dec 30 17:38:45 MST 2008

Peter von Kaehne wrote:
>> As I said, I have found a solution with a a inline list which works
>> better on all kinds of screen designs.
>
> This is now implemented on www.crosswire.org. The design is a inline
> unordered list with &nbsp in all spaces between words which should not
> wrap - like "the SWORD Project".

NB: That's "The SWORD Project". I know I've seen both capital and
lowercase initial 't'. I've probably used both myself, but as a title,
the first letter needs to be capitalized--and it isn't always in the new
webpages.

The current menu bar works inconsistently. Sometimes it gets styled as a
menu bar. But more often than not, the initial load results in an
unordered list, which I think we can all agree looks awful.

> In consequence this will be a single line of menu items on a normal or
> wide screen, but start to wrap into two or more menu lines the narrower
> the screen gets.

This is bad design. Show me another site where a wrapping menu bar is
considered acceptable. And further, there's no visible separation of
items as we've always had, short of doing a mouseover, so it's unclear
on my iPhone whether Home & About are two menu items or a single wrapped
Home About item.

The difference, in large part, is that we HAD a controlled and
consistent 2-line appearance. And now we have an uncontrolled,
inconsistent appearance. Inconsistent appearance across browsers is
something all web designers avoid, which means we're going backwards.

But the crux of this all is that you have admitted to not having much
design sense, but you've seen fit to replace designs produced by people
who DO have design sense and design training.

I've said before that I appreciate much of the revamp you've done on the
CrossWire site (everything under the menu bar & right of the sidebar is
great) and I think the module download page is certainly on the right
track, functionally speaking. But I feel the redesign aspects of this
endeavor are taking a site that was attractive and functional and making
it less so.

--Chris