[sword-devel] Open source German Volxbibel

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Dec 29 17:00:21 MST 2008

Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> Chris Little wrote:
>> Neither Wolfgang's module nor Jan's ThML include any of the footnotes or
>> section headings, so neither of them are particularly representative of
>> the VolxBibel or of particular utility to us.
>
> The point being that Jan's ThML is meant for a frontend which does not
> do foot notes or section headings. So that is not a shortcoming as such
> but an expression of the reason the ThML was created for. It does the
> job it was meant to do.

For Sword, that constitutes lossiness. (That being my point.)

> But Xephania is plain lossy and should not get touched, unless you are
> desparate. And then only with a long bargepole.

Except for the same lossiness as one finds in Jan's ThML, I haven't seen
any evidence of lossiness in this case. Converting escaped hex to UTF-8
takes one call to pack() in Perl (or your favorite correlate).

That's not to say that I would use the Zefania text in this case, but
their texts tend to approximate the quality of their sources and I see
no need to disparage Zefania or Wolfgang in this forum.

--Chris