[sword-devel] New SWORD website - update

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun Dec 28 02:16:42 MST 2008

Peter von Kaehne wrote:

> I have added all languages where we wither have several modules already
> or have some in "waiting".

I didn't realise there are so few languages with more than one module.

>> The zip packages were discussed already. I think this should be changed:
>> "Windows users should click on the link in the WINDOWS column, while
>> Linux users should click on the link in the RAW Zip column."
>> Instead it shoud be clearly stated that application module managers are
>> preferred and some instruction given how to install using the zip files.
>
> Done.

It looks much better now. The exact wording of the text can of course be
discussed (endlessly, if we want to :) ). Here are some details...

First, there is heading "All Languages" (or whatever) but there are zip
file installation instructions right after it. It doesn't feel logical.

There are first aid instructions here but they are quite unhelpful
considering their length. I would either make it more precise and
lengthy here or shorten it and make the link to help page more obvious.
Something like this:

"Rawzip is for all platforms and applications, winzip is for The Sword
Project for Windows exclusively. See _SWORD Module Add-ins Installation
Instructions_ for detailed instructions."

I would take the instruction page link which is after the previous text
into the main text. At least for me as a user lone link texts are
surprisingly hard to spot (as are heading links, but fortunately we
don't have them). It's much more natural to have links within the normal
text or in the special link section. Additionally the lone link line
adds visual clutter because there are already several different looking
lines near it. The sidebar link is in a special link section and it's
good there.

Considering the amount of help requests in the support mailing list the
Mac module installation help would be the most important one.

--Eeli Kaikkonen