[sword-devel] Re New website - installation instructions

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 08:10:40 MST 2008

On Dec 19, 2008, at 7:09 AM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:

>> The instructions should say to use  the built-in app installer, or
>> otherwise download the Windows          > package and install it.
>
> Sorry, this is confusing to me right now :
>
> Do you mean with "Windows package" the user should install *BibleCS*
> or the *winzip* from the repository?
>

> If former - I am not sure that is good advice - given that people
> who use whatever, with a functioning module installer, might not
> want to have BibleCS too.
>
> If latter - mwtalbert emailed me that he tried the winzips out and
> found them not self extracting in WinXP and Vista. I have not tested
> myself on XP or Vista , but did right now a trial run on Win2000 and
> it was badly broken:
>
> a) there was nothing apparently self extracting about it - i.e being
> called exe and being able to run like a programm it was not.
> b) unzipping it showed a setup.exe
> c) running the setup.exe did something and congratulated me on a
> succesful install
> d) running BibleDesktop did not show the module. BibvleCS is pretty
> good in finding unorthodox install places.
> e) starting BibleCS told me that it found a new module - after me
> ok'ing this it did something and congratulated me for being
> successful. The module showed up thereafter.
> f) rerunning BibleDesktop found it now. All shiny and new.

The Windows module downloads stage the module to a location that
BibleDesktop does not look at. When BibleCS runs it looks there and
copies the module to the "install" location.

> doubt that as I did the intuitive thing and then some more) these
> modules were not self extracting at all. To be used on a usually
> very competent frontend (BibleDesktop) they required the presence of
> BibleCS to get to work.

I could change BD to work with it. But no user has complained.

> Most of the module related queries on sword-support are of the kind
> "Cannae find me modules, guv" - always Win or Mac related.
>
> I have already advise from the MacSword team that swd is deprecated
> and while they will allow use of them we should not advertise them -
> i.e. we should probably take the out of this page. That was their
> view not mine, though I support that.

Mac user's should be strongly encouraged (perhaps required) to use the
program's installer and that using the raw  zips are problematic.

I agree with Manfred that the .swd downloads should be discontinued.

> My feeling regarding  the winzips is as follows -  there is the
> definitive need for self extracting modules for Windows. I
> personally want them for distribution to more "interesting" places.

I don't think the self-extracting installer looks at SWORD_PATH first.
I think it should. Otherwise how is it going to find a non-standard
install of BibleCS.

> The current incarnation is broken badly in some form, so badly that
> they are not fit for use. While I personally want them I am
> currently in no position to volunteer to fix it, though I will once
> I can come round to it (several months likely), unless someone else
> was faster.
>
> My suggestion is therefore that we take out all links to the
> winzips, delete and destroy them unless someone has a use for them
> which I have nbot figured and rely solely - for the moment - on
> rawzips. we then bang all our heads here together and clarify once
> for all where a sword supported and advertised Windows frontend
> should keep its modules and how it gets them there.
>
> Once this is done, someone else (or me if time allows) can step up
> to the plate and create a new setup of self extracting winzips of
> some sort (maybe NSIS based?) and then we will again advertise them.
>
> And finally - two unrelated questions:
>
> 1) does the command line module installer work on Windows and if so
> how?
> 2) can MacSword install locally unzipped modules (e.g. unzipped on
> your desktop or in your document folder) into the correct place like
> GS can do?

No. And BibleDesktop cannot either.

In Christ's Service,
	DM