[sword-devel] Quick question on alternative versification

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Dec 18 00:09:11 MST 2008

Daniel Owens wrote:

> Chris Little wrote:
>>

>> Daniel Owens wrote:
>>> Can anyone give me some quick pointers on how to use xml2gbs to
>>> compile a module with deuterocanonical material? I have a source file
>>> I itching to try out, and for now I have resorted to deleting the
>>> extra material using a Perl script so I can compile using osis2mod.
>>>
>>> 1. Do I need to compile SWORD from SVN?
>>
>> At a minimum. Even with Sword from SVN, I'm not sure there are any
>> frontends that can display GenBook Bibles and I don't know that the
>> whole implementation within Sword itself is completed.
>
> Maybe I need to sit tight for awhile. If anyone wants a source file to
> play with, I have one (including permission for CrossWire to
> distribute). Should I put the KJV-only version (wink wink) into beta or
> just sit tight?

A KJV-versified text will work now--and I wouldn't hold my breath for
non-KJV-versification to be widely supported in stable releases soon.
That is to say, I wouldn't discourage releasing the more limited text
now and updating when that is possible.

>>> 2. Do I have to do anything special to the OSIS (I tried xml2gbs
>>> once, and it quit after a few verses I think.)? The structure is BSP,
>>> not BCV.
>>
>> You shouldn't need to do anything to your Bible, assuming it is
>> encoded with the correct OSIS book IDs. That said, I don't recall
>> whether I have ever attempted to import a book with milestoned
>> chapter/verse elements and I don't recall having written anything in
>> xml2gbs to handle these elements. So it may be that the BSP style is
>> causing your problems.
>>

> OSIS file validates except for a section in Daniel which uses the
> Dan.3.90!+ format, which is forbidden in OSIS. Perhaps I will need to
> use x instead of +, but it's a bummer to change it from the printed
> version. I guess it's a moot point until front-ends start supporting
> alternative versification.

The text really intends a plus sign as a sub-verse marker? Is it
supposed to be a cross? Or a dagger? I would guess there is something
+-like that is allowed in that position by OSIS.

> Milestoned verse elements are a real pain, but it's hard to do anything
> but canonical text unless you use them. There's no way to handle
> paragraphs and poetry, unless I'm mistaken.

Paragraphs you can usually do without resorting to milestones. Poetry,
almost never. So, yes, they're a pain, but they're the best we've got.

--chris