[sword-devel] Icon bar and redirects. (new website)

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 01:50:24 MST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
> Jonathan Morgan wrote:
>> More nitpicking (do what you like with it):
>>
>> "Bible Study Software
>>
>> We have an abundance of applications, small and large,..."
>>
>> If the section is entitled "Bible Study Software", I would expect a
>> mention of software, rather than talking about applications.
>>
>> Also, the "abundance of applications" link takes you to a page that
>> looks superficially identical to what you have just left (it has the
>> same section on Bible Study Software at the top with a little text
>> added, and the same chooser for your particular platform).  If you are
>> going to have a separate page for applications, I think it would be
>> preferable to list every application (though maybe with the platform
>> chooser icons at the top still).  While this does make an unwieldy
>> list, it seems to me that is what I have asked for - I have asked to
>> see the abundance of software, and you haven't shown it to me.
>
> You are correct.
>
>> Web writing should aim to be concise and to the point (a thing my
>> writing very rarely is).  Based on this I have redrafted the Bible
>> Study Software section, which you are welcome to pick to pieces or use
>> as you like.  I would be inclined to think to the average user the
>> Bible Study Software section is probably more important than the
>> description of the Sword project, and so should possibly be first
>> (though I do understand that the Sword project is much closer to
>> CrossWire's core than the Bible study software around it.
>>
>> "We have many different software packages on different platforms to
>> support you in your Bible studies.  Since all these packages can use
>> the same Bibles, dictionaries, commentaries and other books, you can
>> try several and see which one you end up liking best.  Please use the
>> icons below to find software for your platform."
>>
>> I don't like the words "packages" or "platform" either, but can't
>> think of a better alternative (software is not pluralisable).
>
> I think packages is a Linux word and not used much outside. But I might
> be wrong.

Don't know.  At least you might want first to be "software
applications" rather than applications, but I don't really care
(software applications sounds a bit redundant).

>> The differences with rationale are:
>> * Removed "small and large" since I don't know what it means and don't
>> consider it important.
>
> Accepted
>
>> * Removed mention of cross platform applications, since it seems to me
>> utterly irrelevant when the user is choosing a platform to get
>> software for anyway.
>
> Do not agree. I like running the same application at home and at work
> (Linux vs Win) I have FF and Thunderbird everywhere.

I don't mind the software being cross platform, but don't think it
important enough to highlight on front page.  Again, do as you will.

Jon