[sword-devel] Icon bar and redirects. (new website)

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Fri Dec 12 01:43:29 MST 2008

Jonathan Morgan wrote:
> More nitpicking (do what you like with it):
>
> "Bible Study Software
>
> We have an abundance of applications, small and large,..."
>
> If the section is entitled "Bible Study Software", I would expect a
> mention of software, rather than talking about applications.
>
> Also, the "abundance of applications" link takes you to a page that
> looks superficially identical to what you have just left (it has the
> same section on Bible Study Software at the top with a little text
> added, and the same chooser for your particular platform).  If you are
> going to have a separate page for applications, I think it would be
> preferable to list every application (though maybe with the platform
> chooser icons at the top still).  While this does make an unwieldy
> list, it seems to me that is what I have asked for - I have asked to
> see the abundance of software, and you haven't shown it to me.

You are correct.

> Web writing should aim to be concise and to the point (a thing my
> writing very rarely is).  Based on this I have redrafted the Bible
> Study Software section, which you are welcome to pick to pieces or use
> as you like.  I would be inclined to think to the average user the
> Bible Study Software section is probably more important than the
> description of the Sword project, and so should possibly be first
> (though I do understand that the Sword project is much closer to
> CrossWire's core than the Bible study software around it.
>
> "We have many different software packages on different platforms to
> support you in your Bible studies.  Since all these packages can use
> the same Bibles, dictionaries, commentaries and other books, you can
> try several and see which one you end up liking best.  Please use the
> icons below to find software for your platform."
>
> I don't like the words "packages" or "platform" either, but can't
> think of a better alternative (software is not pluralisable).

I think packages is a Linux word and not used much outside. But I might
be wrong.

> The differences with rationale are:
> * Removed "small and large" since I don't know what it means and don't
> consider it important.

Accepted

> * Removed mention of cross platform applications, since it seems to me
> utterly irrelevant when the user is choosing a platform to get
> software for anyway.

Do not agree. I like running the same application at home and at work
(Linux vs Win) I have FF and Thunderbird everywhere.

> * I don't think the user cares too much where the library is stored
> (though I agree it is preferable to use the same location).

Given that I want to encourage people to try out, I thought this is of
some relevance. But probably not huge.

> * Expanded "module library" (which doesn't have a huge amount of
> meaning) to "Bibles, dictionaries, commentaries and other books"
> (which IMHO does).  I know there are other types of modules, but those
> are probably the important ones.

Agree

 I would suggest if you adopt this
> that Bibles links to the display of available Bibles (e.g.
> http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModDisp.jsp?modType=Bibles),
> dictionaries to dictionaries, commentaries to commentaries, and other
> books to genbooks.

easily done.

> I think this text would be suitable for the front page.

ok