[sword-devel] Icon bar and redirects. (new website)

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 22:23:25 MST 2008

More nitpicking (do what you like with it):

"Bible Study Software

We have an abundance of applications, small and large,..."

If the section is entitled "Bible Study Software", I would expect a
mention of software, rather than talking about applications.

Also, the "abundance of applications" link takes you to a page that
looks superficially identical to what you have just left (it has the
same section on Bible Study Software at the top with a little text
added, and the same chooser for your particular platform).  If you are
going to have a separate page for applications, I think it would be
preferable to list every application (though maybe with the platform
chooser icons at the top still).  While this does make an unwieldy
list, it seems to me that is what I have asked for - I have asked to
see the abundance of software, and you haven't shown it to me.

Web writing should aim to be concise and to the point (a thing my
writing very rarely is).  Based on this I have redrafted the Bible
Study Software section, which you are welcome to pick to pieces or use
as you like.  I would be inclined to think to the average user the
Bible Study Software section is probably more important than the
description of the Sword project, and so should possibly be first
(though I do understand that the Sword project is much closer to
CrossWire's core than the Bible study software around it.

"We have many different software packages on different platforms to
support you in your Bible studies.  Since all these packages can use
the same Bibles, dictionaries, commentaries and other books, you can
try several and see which one you end up liking best.  Please use the
icons below to find software for your platform."

I don't like the words "packages" or "platform" either, but can't
think of a better alternative (software is not pluralisable).

The differences with rationale are:
* Removed "small and large" since I don't know what it means and don't
consider it important.
* Removed mention of cross platform applications, since it seems to me
utterly irrelevant when the user is choosing a platform to get
software for anyway.
* I don't think the user cares too much where the library is stored
(though I agree it is preferable to use the same location).
* Expanded "module library" (which doesn't have a huge amount of
meaning) to "Bibles, dictionaries, commentaries and other books"
(which IMHO does).  I know there are other types of modules, but those
are probably the important ones.  I would suggest if you adopt this
that Bibles links to the display of available Bibles (e.g.
http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModDisp.jsp?modType=Bibles),
dictionaries to dictionaries, commentaries to commentaries, and other
books to genbooks.

I think this text would be suitable for the front page.

Jon