[sword-devel] CrossWire website up and running

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 12:46:58 MST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
> Greg Hellings wrote:
>>> Not jittery anymore, but a nbetter solution which is IE6 firm needs to
>>> be found.
>>
>> Honestly?  Do we really need to bend over backwards to support a
>> browser that's about a decade old?  If it's a minor fix like the
>> problems in CSS or your HTML you mentioned in the other thread, sweet,
>> but how much work really needs to go into supporting IE6?
>
> I think we should. IE6 is still far too common. Look at browser
> statistics. (My VM with XP on Virtualbox is IE6.

I see its stats at 20% last month, down from 32% at the beginning of
the year.  Last year it dropped 11%.  The year before that, nearly a
20% drop.  I'd expect to see its continued drop.  I was just
suggesting you not bust yourself too hard if nothing can be figured
out.

>>> That is easily done, but I would consider it a low priority. Remind me
>>> if I have not come round to it after a time.
>>
>> If DM means fixed width, I strongly disagree.
>
> He does not mean fixed width. He means fixed position. So if the main
> content is too big - like in the FAQ the top menu and side menu remain
> in place while you scroll up and down. Look at his example. 2 posts on.

Ah, my mistake.  Personally I'm not a huge fan of the fixed
banner/sidebar when I'm scrolling a page.  It is a bit strange to me.
When I scroll, I like to see the whole page scroll.  But maybe that's
just me.

>> On the other hand, having it display beautifully on my iPhone right
>> now makes me happy.
>
> So it displays nicely on the iPhone? I am pleased.

Yep, it displays nicely.  And when I double-tap on the content
section, it scales to an almost perfect size for reading, in my
opinion.  Well done!

--Greg