[sword-devel] CrossWire website up and running

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Thu Dec 11 12:45:58 MST 2008

Peter,

Thank you again for owning this.  Just a few quick comments.

We have a google site search on the sword page which is really useful
for searching the mailing list archives (among other things on the
site).  Maybe we could grab it from there.

My preference is that the Wiki, as a concept, doesn't have a direct
prominent link.  My thoughts are that Wiki technology might be used for
any number of things at CrossWire, and we should link to wiki pages or
static pages bases on what the page contains regarless of whether it is
wiki or static or jsp or whatever.  I'm not saying we should NEVER link
to the Wiki top page-- maybe in a developers section somewhere on the
site--  just that we should use community editing as a technology
throughout our site where appropriate, otherwise the top wiki page
becomes logically a duplicate of what we're trying to do on the main
crosswire page, or for a main developers' page or some other logical
site section.  Does that make sense?

Can we get the PalmBible+ blurb back?

If we have a Java section, I'm not sure all the java programs should
also go into all the other groups, as well.  I'm not sure what I think
is best.  But if the Java apps do go under all the other groups, they
should not have higher visibility than apps directly written for the
platform-- like MacSword.

In general, I'm having an aesthetic problem with no indenting of
subsections.  Like all the places we have a color bar like

=Volutneer Opportunities==================

It seems the text under these should be slightly indented as they were
on the old site.  Just my preference.

"History and Aims"?  I think "About" is shorter and usually expected on
a website.

Simply "Read the Bible" as a link is probably better for the people we
want to use it regularly.  I realize the "... online in our we based
study tool" advertises that SWORDWeb is another of our tools which can
be used on your own site, but I think we need to be obvious about this
to our tools audience in a better way.

I'm excited about all this work!  I can't begin to express how
appreciative I am about all the many hours you've devoted to improving
our site!

	-Troy.