[sword-devel] Web Front-end for JSword (iPhone targeted)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 02:22:05 MST 2008

I've thrown together a quick AJAX-based front-end for JSword.  I'm
aiming to make it look and work nice for iPhone users.  We'll see if
it works out.  Right now it works fine in Safari on the desktop, and
also in the iPhone simulator.  In the simulator the display of
non-ASCII characters seems to fail (specifically the WLC and AraSVD
modules with Hebrew and Arabic).  I don't know if that's the same on
the devices, as I don't have access to one at this time, however, they
work fine in desktop Safari.

There are still some rough edges with the interface - primarily it
doesn't properly detect the books that are in a module at any given
moment.  It does detect chapters-in-book and verses-in-chapter,
though.  For now, you just have to assume that if you get to the verse
display and there is no text (and no error box), then that module must
not support that verse/book.  There are also additional GUI tweaks
that will be needed to smooth the functioning of it, but this is just
a quickly hobbled together patch-up.

For the time being you can find the page at
(provided I did everything properly with DynDNS and my router).  The
page itself may be up and down, seeing as it's currently hosted on my
laptop until I move it onto one of my other machines this weekend.
Let me know what you all think.


More information about the sword-devel mailing list