[sword-devel] Greenstone .... and the Hawaiian Bible

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 06:35:17 MST 2008

Chris Little wrote:
> David Haslam wrote:
>
>> Not completely off topic, because examples of its use include Ulukau, the
>> Hawaiian Electronic Library which in turn includes Baibala Hemolele (The
>> Hawaiian Bible), for which the link page is  http://baibala.org/
>>

> This looks interesting. Do we have any clue which edition was used to
> produce the (machine-readable) text? If it's the 1868 edition, we could
> use it. If it's the 1994, we would need to figure out whose permission
> to ask (unless that's just a reprint). I can see it's not the 1839, but
> I don't see any textual differences between the 1868 and 1994.
>
> The format itself is very clear and consistent, so it would be trivial
> to convert to OSIS.

The web site indicates that it is not the 1994 version.
On this page:
http://baibala.org/cgi-bin/bible?e=p-off-0bible--00-1-0true--00-4--Sec---0--1en-Zz-1---20-header-search-true---011-010-0-1-escapewin&a=p&p=frameset&p2=about&p3=edintro&toc=0&d=
it says:
"The American Bible Society supported the publishing and distribution of
the Baibala Hemolele from the start. Its latest edition, 1994, will be
made available here in text form, searchable by book, chapter, verse, or
word."
Note the future tense "will be made available here"
This page also indicates that it might be good to obtain permission for
distribution.

On this page:
http://baibala.org/cgi-bin/bible?e=p-off-0bible--00-1-0false--00-4--Sec---0--1en-Zz-1---20-docoptions-search-false---011-010-0-1-escapewin&a=p&p=frameset&cl=&cid=&hl=1&toc=0&gg=text&d=NULL.2.1.1
the right panel indicates that the text is "Original Hawaiian" and that
Modern Hawaiian is not available.

In Him,
    DM