[sword-devel] Compiling SWORD API using MinGW

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sat Apr 5 16:13:16 MST 2008

Chris,

I used MinGW to build the swordweb for win32 package on the FTP server.
  I had to install a ton of packages.  It took me forever to get
everything I needed.  I still don't think I got ICU working, so if you
got ICU compiled, maybe we could swap secrets.  I'll upload my MinGW
environment which builds sword.  Look for it soon at /pub/sword/mingw/

Chris Little wrote:
> Has anyone had any luck compiling Sword on MinGW lately?
>
> It worked once upon a time. We even have some Makefile defines specific
> to MinGW. And I /can/ get Sword to build (though it has lots of problems
> later in the utilities part of the build process that I haven't yet
> worked through), but it's a big hassle as it stands right now--in
> contrast to most other packages I've tried to build in MinGW/MSYS.
>
> (FYI, zlib, curl, clucene, & ICU are all a piece of cake to build and
> enable in the Sword build.)
>
> I'm just wondering whether anyone else has had good luck with Sword on
> MinGW before I go through the trouble of editing the make system myself.
> (I'll draw up a set up directions for the Wiki once I get a good system
> working.)
>
> Ultimately, I'm hoping (fingers crossed) to get GnomeSword (maybe even
> BibleTime?) building on/for Win32 in a way that it can be distributed
> binary-only in a minimal way (that is, without a huge Cygwin install).
>
> --Chris
>

> Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>> Mico.  Have a look at usrinst.sh.  It calls configure with most options
>> you want.  For MinGW, you will most likely want to disable ICU (unless
>> you can get an ICU devel package, which I have had no luck finding) and
>> for now, probably clucene support (clucene does compile, so if you
>> compile and install this, you can leave the clucene option enabled).
>>
>> Hope that gets you going.
>>
>> I have a precompiled library and headers if you would like them.
>>
>> 	-Troy.
>>

>> Mico Siahaan wrote:
>>> Hi, I am new in programming and I tried to compile
>>> SWORD API using MinGW compiler under Windows XP
>>> Professional. What I did:
>>> 1. run ./configure
>>> 2. run make
>>>
>>> then I got this error:
>>>
>>> Making all in lib
>>> make[1]: Entering directory
>>> /home/mico/sword-1.5.10/lib'
>>> /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc
>>> -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../include  -I../include
>>> -DUSE_AUTOTOOLS -DUNIX -Dunix -D__unix__
>>> -DGLOBCONFPATH=\"/usr/local/etc/sword.conf\"
>>> -D_FTPLIB_NO_COMPAT     -MT ftplib.lo -MD -MP -MF
>>> .deps/ftplib.Tpo -c -o ftplib.lo `test -f
>>> '../src/utilfuns/ftplib.c' || echo
>>> './'`../src/utilfuns/ftplib.c
>>> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../include -I../include
>>> -DUSE_AUTOTOOLS -DUNIX -Dunix -D__unix__
>>> -DGLOBCONFPATH=\"/usr/local/etc/sword.conf\"
>>> -D_FTPLIB_NO_COMPAT -MT ftplib.lo -MD -MP -MF
>>> .deps/ftplib.Tpo -c ../src/utilfuns/ftplib.c
>>> -DDLL_EXPORT -DPIC -o .libs/ftplib.o
>>> ../src/utilfuns/ftplib.c:44:24: sys/socket.h: No
>>> such file or directory
>>> ../src/utilfuns/ftplib.c:45:24: netinet/in.h: No such
>>> file or directory
>>> ../src/utilfuns/ftplib.c:46:19: netdb.h: No such file
>>> or directory
>>> ../src/utilfuns/ftplib.c:47:23: arpa/inet.h: No such
>>> file or directory
>>> make[1]: *** [ftplib.lo] Error 1
>>> make[1]: Leaving directory
>>> `/home/mico/sword-1.5.10/lib'