[sword-devel] Compiling SWORD API using MinGW

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sat Apr 5 14:25:35 MST 2008

Has anyone had any luck compiling Sword on MinGW lately?

It worked once upon a time. We even have some Makefile defines specific
to MinGW. And I /can/ get Sword to build (though it has lots of problems
later in the utilities part of the build process that I haven't yet
worked through), but it's a big hassle as it stands right now--in
contrast to most other packages I've tried to build in MinGW/MSYS.

(FYI, zlib, curl, clucene, & ICU are all a piece of cake to build and
enable in the Sword build.)

I'm just wondering whether anyone else has had good luck with Sword on
MinGW before I go through the trouble of editing the make system myself.
(I'll draw up a set up directions for the Wiki once I get a good system
working.)

Ultimately, I'm hoping (fingers crossed) to get GnomeSword (maybe even
BibleTime?) building on/for Win32 in a way that it can be distributed
binary-only in a minimal way (that is, without a huge Cygwin install).

--Chris