[sword-devel] Releasing application under sword GNU publiclicense

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Sep 17 01:09:26 MST 2007

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, mmital wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. I will read the GNU GPL in detail. In the meantime,
> do I need to remove the eBible application from the internet?  (currently I
> am distributing it as freeware but without the source code). Thanks for the
> clarification,

Legal documents are always complicated, so is GPL. Reading it through is
not an easy task if you want to understand all. You could also read the
GPL FAQ: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html and the wikipedia
article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License.

I'm afraid you really have to remove the application which uses the
Sword library unless the source code has been published under the GPL.

If you are willing to release your source code under the GPL you can do
it by realeasing corresponding source code package for every binary
release. You can also make a project in SourceForge or somewhere else
and use svn or cvs code repository.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland