[sword-devel] New development on Mac

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sat Sep 8 15:53:07 MST 2007

Dear Manfred and other interested Mac development,

CrossWire exists to facilitate community development of free software.
Any services we offer are very much available for your work.  Specific
to what you've mentioned, we can provide:

mailman email list
svn source repository

Also would suggest:

ftp space
web space +java/jsp container +wiki
end user forum (probably later)
a place on our ISO CD image

We'd obviously like for your project to be done under the banner of The
CrossWire Bible society, which would add to our community of official
software, but that is your choice.  There are a few extra rules required
for the latter, namely:

As an organization we do not solicit donations-- in short, no banner ads
or donation solicitation from your project website, within your
software, etc.  There is no rule against projects accepting donations,
or against individual members soliciting donations to support their
work, only against _solicitation as a project_.

Code is co-licensed to CrossWire Bible Society with full ownership
rights.  Basically, if we as a community decide to move to GPL v3
(please, no one open this discussion again), we can easily do so without
contacting absolutely every contributor of code.  Also, we have good
relationships with other Bible Societies and ministry organizations and
retain the right to allow an organization to use a piece of software for
one of their projects, but under a different license if they request.
This doesn't happen often, but there is a huge political cloud at some
organizations and some are just not ready to release their work under an
opensource license.  We still like to show good faith and cooperation
with them in service for our Lord.

Let us know what you decide and we'll get things setup for you.

	-Troy.