[sword-devel] module modtime -vs- CLucene index out-of-date-ness

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 04:23:00 MST 2007

On May 1, 2007, at 11:20 PM, Chris Little wrote:

> There is no such mechanism, to my knowledge.
>
> Should I start indexing all of our modules?
>
> Pros:
> - Users won't have to do their own indexing.
> - Most users don't know about indexing at all, so they'll suddenly see
> huge speed improvements and be able to access Lucene syntax searches.
> - Updated modules will come with updated indexes.
>
> Cons:
> - Larger download size.
> - Frontends without Lucene support get no improvement, just the bigger
> d/l size. (Think handhelds.)

There are more cons.

If there are any significant changes to the construction of the index
then any prior index is invalidated.
These changes are things like:
	version changes of Lucene, Lucene maintains backward compatibility
with old indexes but not forward compatibility.
	using a different analyzer to do construction of a document.
(Searching requires using the same analyzer as was used to do the
construction)

If we provide the ability for rich content indexing (e.g. indexing
notes, quotes, words of Christ, morphology, Strong's numbers), we'd
probably want the front-ends to decide what it wanted to expose and
perhaps let the user's decide what they wanted to search against.
Each of these decisions greatly affects the size of the index.