[sword-devel] Python and swig

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 19:43:20 MST 2007

Hi.

I have been working with python + SWORD for quite a while, but under
windows.
However, I have also tried to build with MSYS (which I have done with a
little tweaking).

What I think you need to do (presuming you are under linux), is go to
bindings/swig/oldmake, and pull out makefile.am. Put this in bindings/swig
and rename it as  makefile

As there is no configure script for this, you will need to do manual
substitution of some terms.
First, if you want only python, remove the tcl and perl sections. Next,
substitute the correct things for the following
$(PYTHON) (possibly python)
$(SWORD_INCLUDES) (wherever sword includes are ie
-I/usr/local/share/sword/include)
$(LIB_SWORD) (ie -lsword)
$(top_srcdir) (bindings/swig)
$(SWIG) (Wherever the swig executable is e.g. swig -I/usr/local/share/swig)
$(VERSION) (1.5.9?)

then type "make python_make"
This should build the extension. I'm not sure whether you need to install it
(if you do, just type cd python && python setup.py install

If you would like any examples of how to use SWORD under python, just email
me

Hope this helps.

God Bless,
Ben

Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the
flesh.
Ecclesiastes 12:12 (ESV)