[sword-devel] SwordReader - Experimental Double Buffering added.]

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 08:44:44 MST 2007

Barry Drake wrote:
> Hi David .......
> David Trotz wrote:
>> This is related to the above. All I can ask is that maybe you try it 
>> on a real device,?
> For the most part it's OK on my device.  It works seamlessly, and 
> doesn't give me time to find problems - that is, until I turn on the 
> morphs, strongs or footnotes in kjv.
> Any of these take so long to load that I've plenty of time to mess 
> things up by clicking on things.  You can click on several URL's in the 
> time taken, and they show up after the screen is loaded - one after 
> another!  You've also plenty of time to click on the 'books' or 'verses' 
> buttons, which really messes things up. Personally, I think I'd prefer 
> the endless wait - or a message on screen that say 'this may take a few 
> seconds' (minutes even!).  I don't know what to suggest here, but I 
> think we'd be in for trouble with this build as is.
Just some ideas. I don't know if either of these would help.

A long time ago, I wrote a single threaded application that had long 
waits at various points. The user could "stack" operations during that 
time but the code was written in such a way that it assumed that when 
processing an event that it was based upon the current context. To work 
around this we added fine grained timestamps to every event and any 
event whose starting time preceded the end time of the last event was 

In another app, we put up a busy cursor and blocked input at the start 
of every event and restored the cursor and user input at it's end.

More information about the sword-devel mailing list